With the new season blossoming over the horizon, now is the perfect time to transform your bed from a place to rest at night to a sanctuary of deep, rejuvenating sleep.
It may seem like a daunting task at first, but with our hints and tips you can get through spring cleaning your bed at a good pace, leaving you with even more time to lie down and bask in the delightful comfort you will have accomplished.
Even though you probably clean and change your sheets frequently, a good way to start a deep clean is to strip anything extraneous. Start your spring clean by removing all the duvet and pillow covers, blankets, throw pillows and the mattress sheet and put them in the wash, making sure to follow the instructions on the label.
Freshening up a mattress and making it feel brand new is surprisingly simple.
- Grab a clean jar with a lid and put a cup of baking soda in it. If you want to make your mattress really relaxing, drip in around 10-15 drops of an essential oil, such as lavender or jasmine, put the lid on and give it a shake.
- Grab a sifter and use it to dust the entire bare mattress with the contents of the jar. Make sure the whole thing is covered, you can always make more of the mixture
- Leave it for at least an hour.
- Vacuum the mixture off thoroughly.
- Your mattress should now be deodorised and smell incredibly relaxing.
If you want your mattress to feel like new, why not invest in a mattress cover and enhancer. We have a range available, each of which will protect your mattress, extending its lifespan as well as providing another layer of comfort.
Is it time to replace your pillows? If you’re not sure, there is a simple test you can run.
- Place your pillow on a flat surface
- Fold the pillow in half widthwise and squash the air out
- If you have a Synthetic or Hollowfibre pillow, place a light weight (around 250g) on top of the folded pillow
- If the pillow unfolds itself and returns to its normal shape, then it’s fine
- If not, head over to our pillow page and find the perfect one for you.
General consensus is that the average duvet lasts for up to 5 years. But, have you noticed that your duvet isn’t making you feel as comfortable recently? Does it let the cold in and let your warm out too much?
The problem could be the age and general wear and tear. To test for this:
- Check around the seams. After time, the filling around the stitching can develop cold points. If the filling feels thinner here, it could be time to upgrade
- Hold it up against a bright light. If you can see patches of light through the duvet, the filling could have moved or come out of the duvet
- You may just have the wrong duvet for you.
Whatever the outcome, if your duvet seems to be sub-par, head over to our duvet page. We have a number of ranges of duvets available in various sizes and togs. Take your time and think about what you want from a duvet, then choose the perfect one for you.
Now that your mattress is fresh and soft again, your pillow is perfectly plump and your duvet does the job it’s time to make the bed.
After following our bed spring cleaning routine, what was once a daily chore should feel like setting the groundwork for a labour of love. Every movement of the bed sheets will disperse the scent of fresh linen around you. You will feel the softness of your duvet as you replace the cover. Your pillow will spring back to your touch as you lightly fluff it.
You have done it! You have created a delightfully soothing sleep sanctuary. You can put the rest of the spring cleaning on the back burner, and have a well deserved a rest.